In mid-March of this year, President Cyril Ramaphosa declared the coronavirus pandemic a national disaster. This escalated to South Africa going into a period of “hard” lockdown from midnight on 26 March, extended to midnight on 30 April 2020, this was known as level 5 lockdown.
Since 26 March Sunrock Guesthouse has been closed to the public as stipulated by the government. On 23 April 2020, President Ramaphosa announced a phased approach to lifting the restrictions on economic activity gradually. This cautious re-opening of the South African economy is balancing the continued need to limit the spread of the coronavirus with the need to get people back to work.
As we enter level 4 lockdown on 1 May 2020, Sunrock Guesthouse has been granted permission to operate under strict regulations. Sunrock Guesthouse is allowed to accommodate essential workers and guests who need to be quarantined.
Being granted this permission to operate will help Sunrock Guesthouse bring food to the table for our workers and help the government and economic activity.
Hotels and other accommodation providers are to remain closed to the public until the country is declared in Level 2 of the lockdown, in which case business travel will be permitted. From Level 1 onwards, business and leisure travel will be allowed.
The COVID-19 protocol that we have put in place for Sunrock Guesthouse is for the safety and reassurance of staff and guests. This protocol is outlined below.
The COVID-19 protocol includes but is not limited to:
Screening of guests on arrival- Guests will be screened on arrival, and the following is required:
- Completed and signed a questionnaire
- Temperature to be scanned
- If a guest’s temperature falls within the normal range, and they do not show any symptoms, they will proceed to check-in.
- If a guest’s temperature is high (the actual temperature at screening should not exceed 37.5 degrees Celsius) and/or they have symptoms of the virus, they will not be allowed to check-in and will be referred to a medical facility.
Protective wear such as protective gloves and face masks as required are issued to all staff members.
- Rooms will be disinfected daily.
- Tables and chairs to be wiped down and sprayed with disinfectant before guests are seated and after they have left the dining area.
- All customers will be required to sanitise upon check-in.
- Our drivers will be disinfecting the vehicles before and after transporting guests.
- We will ensure all staff are healthy before coming to work.
- Strict hand cleaning and sanitisation rosters are in place for all staff members.
- Efforts to raise awareness of COVID-19 and reminders for customers and staff members to wash or sanitise their hands have been implemented.
- Educating staff on preventing the spread of the virus.All surfaces (back of house and front of house) will be sanitised regularly.
- Kitchen surfaces and working tools are routinely sanitised.
- Credit card machines will be sanitised before and after each guest makes payment.
While no one can predict the path of this virus, we are continuously monitoring developments and doing all we can to reduce the risk of potential contamination or spread of disease. We thank you for choosing to stay at a Sunrock Guesthouse and look forward to delivering on our service excellence promise.